Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stardust


Stardust is Neil Gaiman's beautiful tale of Tristran, a naive boy from the small, sheltered town of Wall, who journeys into the magical land of Faerie to find a fallen star for the girl he wishes to marry. Tristran eventually finds the star, which turns out to be not a rock, but a beautiful young woman called Yvaine. Along the way, Tristran and his star meet dangerous people and helpful strangers, and endure adventures they could not have dreamt. Their story parallels those of the ancient witch queens Lilim, an enslaved Faerie woman, and the seven heirs of Stormhold, until each of their paths intersect and become hopelessly entangled. Through all of his trials, Tristran finally discovers his true home, and realizes that what he was searching for was right in front of him all along. I am a sucker for happy endings, and I love books that challenge me. Even after I thought I had solved the puzzle, I was surprised by the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment